Garage Door Insulation: Pros and Cons
There are many things you can do to your garage like you can turn it into a gym, an area to entertain your guests, and many more. However, you may not wish to have an open garage door, as it can get too cold or too hot in there if you keep the door closed all the time. So, you should look for a good quality insulated garage door. However, before opting for the right garage door, you need to know about the pros and cons of the insulating a garage. So, let us discuss these factors elaborately.
Garage insulation: What is it?
Generally speaking, a garage does not have any kind of insulation in it. Insulation is a specific material that you need to put between the walls of your garage, as it can help you by keeping your house at a specific temperature. Also, it can protect the house against extreme hot and cold temperatures, along with decreasing the amount of noise you hear.
A house that is properly insulated tends to be more energy-efficient. In many cases, garages do not have insulation and are not even airtight because they have several air gaps. It is possible to insulate the ceiling, walls, and garage door with the highest R-value. The term R-value is a specific number that can indicate the amount of resistance the insulation can offer against outside temperatures.
Contact Garage Door Replacement in Centennial Hills for any help related to garage doors.
As garages have many air gaps, it is crucial to fill those gaps first, or no amount of insulation can help in controlling the temperature in the garage. You can fill up those gaps with spray foam that is low expanding. Also, you may need to check the weatherstripping at the bottom portion of the garage door to ensure that it is intact.
After checking all those areas, you need to decide which kind of insulation you wish to have. There are various types of options available in the market, and each of them has different perks. However, one of the best insulation options is definitely foam boards because these are fairly simple to use and even relatively affordable.
These come in stiff boards and are made of polystyrene. Hence, they are durable, lightweight, and can remain the same in the harshest conditions. Another kind of insulation is the insulating foam sealant. This is a specific kind of spray foam that you can find in a can and can be made from different materials. Another cost-effective option is batt insulation, which is made of fiberglass.
Now let us go through the pros and cons of garage door insulation.
Pros of garage door insulation
- Insulation can slow down the transference of cold or heat, as it can work as a barrier. Thus, adding insulation can help you by making your garage feel less hot or cold on the basis of the outside temperature.
- Proper insulation can make your property more energy-efficient. As you can keep your garage warm by keeping the heat within the space or can keep the heat out of your garage, it can lower your cooling and heating bills because your HVAC system does not need to work hard to heat or cool your house.
- An insulated garage door can even provide an effective sound barrier. It can help you to keep out the disturbing sounds from outside.
Cons of garage door insulation
- If you live in an area where the temperature is warm all around the year, insulating may not be a great idea for you. When you bring your hot car into your garage, it may create more heat if your garage is insulated.
- If you are planning to opt for garage door insulation, you should fill the openings and cracks within your garage first.
Therefore, whenever you feel the need to insulate your garage and garage door, you should consult a professional company, like Vegas Garage Door Repair, which is one of the experts in garage doors in Las Vegas.