Steel Garage Door: How to Repair a Hole?
A garage door helps homeowners in various ways, from increasing the curb appeal to protecting your important belongings inside, and hence, it is crucial to repair and maintain it on a regular basis. Even if you see a hole in your steel garage door, fix it as soon as possible. Now, you may wonder how to perform garage door maintenance; then let us discuss this in detail below.
Steps to fix a hole in your metal garage door
Nowadays, thin steel is used to create modern garage doors with gauges 24 and 25. In some situations, you may think that simple welding can be able to fix the hole in your garage door, but actually, it cannot.
It is not appropriate to try to weld in the steel. So, what you can do, let’s discuss below:
- First, just turn off your garage door opener and then place plastic traps on the ground under the hole so that your door does not move while you try to patch the hole in your steel garage door.
- Next, just move on the inside of your garage door and try to smoothen the inside edges of the hole with the help of rough-grit sandpaper.
- After that, blow off that loose dust that comes out due to sanding with the help of compressed air.
- Now, shake the fast-expanding material, as it will make it foamy, and then spray for ten seconds on the hole. After that, stop the procedure when the hole fills up entirely.
- Now, it is time to move and work outside your garage. You need to apply pressure on the edge of a wooden stick against the garage door from one end of the hole. Then press the bar down as you try to drag it across the entrance to smoothen the applied foam even with your garage door.
- Next, it is time to move back inside your garage and repeat a similar procedure to finish the hole. After that, wait for some time and allow the insulation foam to set for a time. You will get this instruction if you consult garage door professionals or see manuals.
- Now, you need to sand the “foam-covered” hole on the outer part of your garage door with sandpaper. You should stop the process when the surface of the foam-covered and insulated hole goes even with the rest part of your garage door.
- Lastly, you can apply paint on the surface of your garage door to give it a matching look with the other parts of the door, or you can even paint the entire garage door on both sides and ensure that the door doesn’t look dingy or patchy.
The location and size of your garage door hole is also crucial factor that you need to consider carefully. A faulty or malfunctioning garage door can open a new risk of theft.
How to remove the dents in your metal garage door?
While removing the dents, you need to close and lock your garage door properly. First, moisten the rubber end of your hand plunger with several drops of water. Then, place the rubber section cup over one dent and then press the handle towards your door until the piece of rubber attaches. Next, pull the handle towards yourself with proper force, and after that, reattach the suction cup and then continue to pull the handle towards you until you can remove the dent.
So, these are several steps through which you can patch up a hole in your metal or steel garage door with ease. However, if you are confused or need expert help, just contact Vegas Garage Door Repair to enjoy the best possible service regarding garage door repair Summerlin.